Shop 1, 41-43 Knox Street, Belmore 2192. Phone: 02 8065 1197. Email: email@example.com
Like breathing, swallowing is a reflex and essential to everyday life. We swallow food, liquids, medicine and saliva.
Humans swallow at least 900 times a day: around three times an hour during sleep, once per minute while awake and even more often during meals.
Speech in Focus, Speech Pathology Services provides eating, drinking and swallowing (dysphagia) assessments for those living at home or in an aged care facility.
Signs of eating, drinking and swallowing difficulties
- Food or medications sticking in the mouth, throat or chest
- Coughing or choking
- Having undigested food or fluid coming out of the nose or mouth
- Spitting undigested food
- Loose or ill fitting dentures.
- Poor mouth hygiene
- Tongue, facial, lip weakness
- A wet-sounding voice, or gurgled breathing after swallowing
- Increased respiration rate
- Loss of interest in meals
- Family concerns
Every person deserves to have a quality of life. Speech in Focus, Speech Pathology Services assesses the person's eating and drinking skills which includes their chewing and swallowing. We base all the decisions on strong scientific knowledge as well as being compassionate towards the person's needs.